Throughout her life she was deeply concerned with religion, medicine, ethics and cosmology. She made a name for herself as a composer and was known for her wise counsel. The books she wrote detail her extensive teachings on nutrition and health as well as her comprehensive knowledge of herbs and medicinal plants. Saint Hildegard von Bingen’s holistic doctrine is based on six simple principles:
- Nature and the elements as the sources of strength
- Herbs and natural medicine
- Nutrition and teaching with a focus on fresh and local produce
- Fasting as a life-enriching practice
- Exercise and regeneration for vitality
- Spiritual cleansing by retreating into stillness
Hildegard’s principles cover all areas of life, enhance health, and are easy and enjoyable to apply. This is why her teachings are of such interest to us – as well as being remarkably contemporary!